Monday, April 03, 2006

Is that a bylaw in your pocket?


Due to technical difficulties, the latest mayoral e-coli was unable to be published in the usual fora. LawsWatch is happy, in the interests of democracy, to bring you this exclusive:

Greetings loyal subjects, devoted voters and contented employees of Council...

What a week it's been! First, the horrific revelation that none other than Barbara Bullock was mugging old ladies, selling P to school kids and driving her motorcycle through parks and reserves.

Well I didn't exactly see her doing any of those things, but since I've painted her as running fast and loose with gang members simply because she's concerned that a hastily-drawn-up bylaw risks violating everybody's civil rights, I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions as to what she gets up to in her spare time.

Then I was appalled and saddened to find that Horizons has become so "bloated and irrelevant" when I had my back turned. Really, do I have to micro-manage everything? As if my work isn't cut out ensuring there's enough paper clips at the WDC, I keep hearing reports that the regional council is so wasteful that Wanganui's elected representative thereon fails to attend most of its meetings and when she does show up is rarely on time. Any idea who it is, readers? If I ever find the name of this slacker, I'll be having a very stern chat, let me assure you.

I believe some of you have expressed a degree of unease about the solution I propose, though - a unitary authority. Personally, I can't see any problem with an all-powerful local authority reigning over the central North Island. After all, would you deny the citizens of the Manawatu the benefits of my leadership and vision? And with all that Horizons money that's wasted on nonsense like the environment, rivers beaches etc in one big pot, imagine what you'll be offered in our next Referendumb?! Want an outdoor ice skating rink in Moutoa Gardens? A 24 hour buffet restaurant in the shell of the Sarjeant Gallery? An artificial ski slope on Durie Hill? You can have them all, and more besides, under my beneficent rule!! First the Sudetenland... sorry, the Manawatu... then who knows where?!

Talking of the kind of exciting developments planned for my first term, alas the Splash Centre still the stuff of secret meetings. Don't worry though, Council has now assumed "immediate control" of the whole shebang. So now, instead of just me, Marty Lindsay and that notorious bikie chick Barbara Bullock paddling round in it, the project will benefit from the sharp minds of people like Dotty McKinnon, Muzza Who, and that other fellow... you know the one... keep forgetting his name... sits there and nods whenever I look at him, raises his hand whenever I raise mine... dusky looking chappy... anyway, the important thing to remember is that these people hold your financial future in their hands, Wanganui, so you can rest easy at night.

I don't know why there's all this fuss about openness and transparency anyway. For goodness sake, haven't I shown you people my munificence?! I mean I just gave $5,000 to the lawn bowlers... sure they're my rapidly-depleting-through-natural-attrition voter base, but don't think I'm shoring up support, dear readers. Not at all... it was only when they agreed to name the tournament the Mayoral Mixed Open Pairs that my cheque was proffered.

Anyway, who wants to be laying awake at night worrying whether you can afford the inevitable rates rise to pay for all the baubles I offered you? You see, readers, it's purely out of paternal concern for your nocturnal well-being that I've decided to keep our rates discussions secret too.


(Ed: we'd like to provide a link to the relevant Chronicle story, which appeared on 31 March, but conveniently it's not on their website. We thought this one, headed "When carnage strikes" was it, but it's about something else entirely).

We'll be sure and send you a pretty coloured flyer when we've decided precisely how much you're in for, and what we'll be splashing out on (note the pun, readers? It's my little way of hinting at where a fair sized portion is headed).

Meanwhile, don't forget it's radio ratings time, so please ensure you tune in. I've already got the lawn bowls club pretty well locked in with that $5,000 I should think, so it'll only take a handful of you to get me out of the margin of error. Radio is a cut-throat business, which is no doubt why, when our sister station The Rock ran a competition to find "NZ's least attractive man", I'm told I won hands down. I was terribly worried that this somehow meant that all the time I spend on my appearance was for nought, till several people reassured me by pointing out that the competition was for NZ's least attractive man, not least good looking, and that you can still be handsome whilst being very unattractive indeed. So that's a relief.

Oh dear, it looks like I've used just about all the space LawsWatch is prepared to give me, so I don't have room for the usual family news. You'll just have to take my undoubted virility as read till next week.

Michael


P.S. I was nowhere near Winton on Friday night, so there. It wasn't me. Honest.

Comments on this post are now closed.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's all right, Mickey, the radio ratings survey has finished so you can ease off now.

Anyway, you must be running out of low-flying targets after today's shock horror probe front pager.

For anyone who's got a souped up Honda and isn't the mayor of Wanganui be warned:

If he hears of one more complaint of harrassment the mayor "will come after you with my council".

And what's more, if you don't start behaving like members of the human race our mayor will "arm the police in a very short time with the power to impound their cars".

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, who's afraid of the big bad mayor?
++++++++++

Who's afraid of the big bad mayor
Big bad mayor
Big bad mayor
Who's afraid of the big bad mayor
Tra-la-la-la-la-la

I built my car of big exhausts
I built my gang of bro’s
I toot my horn
Our mayor I scorn
And race around all day

I built my house of earthquake bricks
And I don’t give a damn about council pricks
With a hey-diddle-diddle
The mayor’s on the fiddle
And dancing all kinds of jigs

He don't take no time to play
He looks for things to flay
He’s out to boost his radio pay
And all he does is squeal all day

You can play and laugh and hang about town
And you’ll make him shout and roar
Vision’ll be safe and you'll be sorry
When the mayor knocks down your door

Who's afraid of the big bad mayor
Big bad mayor
Big bad mayor
Who's afraid of the big bad mayor
Tra-la-la-la-la-la

Horizon'll punch him in the nose
Bullock will tie him in a knot
Stevens will kick him in the shin
And Sarten will put him on the spot

Who's afraid of the big bad mayor
Big bad mayor
Big bad mayor
Who's afraid of the big bad mayor
Tra-la-la-la-la-la

Anonymous said...

There must be some mistake. The latest police crime stats out today reckon South Auckland is the crime capital of Godzone but WE all know it’s WangaVegas, don’t we Mickey?

They must have got it wrong. In this town that’s crawling with gang violence and intimidation and awash with P and Boy Racers, the police reckon drugs and antisocial behaviour is down 16.2%.

Property damage and property abuse are both down, along with most other stats.

But amazingly enough, so is the number of DISHONESTY offences. Obviously the police stats boffins (what do you get when you cross Wellington bureaucrats with computers, eh Mickey?) haven’t heard about the nil rates rise that wasn’t, the affordable splash centre that isn’t, the Community Foundation’s mythic million, the claims that this is a united council, the bullshit allegations against the mayor’s opponents, the flying fax denials, the film festival promises… well that’s enough of mentioning the unmentionables, as Rob V pointed out.

Anonymous said...

Who's afraid of the big bad Mayor,

Not me Tee Hee, Not me Tee Hee,

I am the Mayor Tee Hee,

I have my Flash Council Honda with its Twin Big Bore Exhausts, that the ratepayers bought for me.

So dig that, you Boy racers, you are no match for me.

I toot my horn I ride my bike,
I run around in my Lycra tights,

In these I look real cool,
I even wear them to Council meets,

So look out you with gang patches,
you're no match for me in my green ball snatchers,

And just so you don't miss me I wear my florescent safety jacket,
These match my lycra Green tight shorts.

I pounce around some days in these,
it's just the mod gear for a mayor,

I wouldn't be seen in a suit, it's just not cool,
A suit may make me look a fool.

I rant and rave without a cause to help my radio ratings,

Oh God, please help me make it clear, they need to think my way.

Who's afraid of the big bad mayor not me tee hee, not me tee hee, I am the mayor.

Anonymous said...

Hey, anon @ 8.02pm

Among the unmentionables you forgot to mention -- the “commercial sensitivity” that isn’t whenever the mad mayor wants to gag the independent thinkers around the council table and stave off ratepayer outrage.

Anonymous said...

There are some pathetic people in here - little wonder LW ceased to be any sort of influence in this town. Its just a collection of frustrated nonentities but if the unelectable and incoherent Rob Vinsen is the patron then its no wonder. And why does Matt Dutton pretend to be some many different anonymii?

Anonymous said...

Give us some hard news! Leave the puff for Terry Sarten!

Anonymous said...

And why does Matt Dutton pretend to be some many different anonymii?

***********

Why does REG, Edith, MarionG,Harold, anon anon anon anon anon etc etc pretend NOT to be Mickey Mayor?

BTW: I'm not Matt!!!~!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Lest anyone doubt Mickey was bullshitting again in that delectable piece of shite in the letters column today, here's the Hindson report on INCREASED OPERATIONAL COSTS FOR THE SPLASH CENTRE, from theStrategy Committee meeting on 12 September 2005. And it was followed by a little paragraph in the Chronic quoting mayor mickey that the institutions concerned would have to meet any additional operating costs triggered by referendumb-induced madness:
*********
Operational Cost Analysis
One aspect, which may appear insignificant at this stage as it is not required until 2007/08,
is the operational cost of the facility once the extension is opened. So far there have been
several estimates as to the financial impact on the management contract ranging from an
additional $300,000 to $525,000 at 2004/05 prices. In addition there will be the interest
and capital repayments and renewals to fund. All of these will need to be budgeted for and
included in the LTCCP as well as the current Splash Centre’s funding of $342,000 per
annum.
The uncertainty over the exact financial impact has been caused by the lack of a definitive
design until very recently on which to base the operational requirements analysis. The
upgrade of the heating system is a good example of how a simple change can save money
very quickly but cost money if it is the wrong decision.
An increase of $300,000 per annum, equates to $9M over the anticipated life of the pool.
If the operational budget is increased to $500,000 per annum that raises the community
input to $15M over the anticipated life of the pool. The Council has to be sure what the
correct figure is for budgeting purposes, and before the Council commits to the design, as
that effectively takes that money out of circulation for other projects the community may
need.

Anonymous said...

In another treat-the-ratepayers-like-mushrooms “news release” from spin city Mickey has just blamed what he calls “extra scrutiny” that led to the Audit Office’s unhappiness with the LTCCP on (no names mind you) Dave Foster et al!

Get a whiff of this:
"It's difficult to escape the conclusion that we are receiving extra scrutiny this time as a consequence of inadequacies in the last LTCCP published in 2003.”

So why don’t you tell us, Mickey, just what was the cause of Wellington’s unhappiness and increased stringency, and most important, what it took to make them happy again.

Laws Watch said...

"It's difficult to escape the conclusion that we are receiving extra scrutiny this time as a consequence of inadequacies in the last LTCCP published in 2003".

The point, surely anon (and Mickey) is that while the 2003 may or may not have been the most stringent piece of accounting since David Parker's company returns, the crucial question at issue is whether this LTCCP is a malodorous pile of Mayoral leavings. And the whiff the Cave is getting is that it's time Mickey got out his shovel...

Anonymous said...

As I said to an equally uninformed anon in the previous item....
The AG does not query monetary specifics of the LTCCP they question processes that were followed in order to reach the LTCCP conclusions. Not ONE Council has passed first time. Well done LW you and idiots like Matt "what shall i protest about today" Dutton have made me see sense.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I was nowhere near Winton on Friday night, so there. It wasn't me. Honest.
Yeah right!

After being deputised to boldly go where Mickey feared to tread, poor Dotty will have been devastated by the non-appearance of the mayor from Invercargill at the Sarjeant on Saturday.

She was no doubt looking forward to gushing in River Shitty Press about how wonderful it was to be there when our very own mayor and his philististine attacks on the Sarjeant were being talked about by Mayor Tim.

How proud she and her sidekick Nicki were that Mayor Michael was being talked about again ...

As it was she had to grin inanely through the MP for Wairarapa's digs about the role of local govt etc .. nudge nudge wink wink

Anonymous said...

How would the following press release look like if this happened in wanganui...

Mayor Tim in hospital
Invercargill Mayor Tim Shadbolt is in Kew Hospital recovering from a motor vehicle accident near Winton on Friday night.
City Council Chief Executive Officer Richard King said doctors were still assessing the Mayor’s condition and that the Mayor is not receiving visitors.
He asked for well-wishers and the news media to respect the wishes of Mr Shadbolt’s family for privacy.
“Tim is extremely popular all over New Zealand and is usually the first to front up to the media and the public, but right now he needs to recover and we ask people to give him some space.”
Mr King said that while Mr Shadbolt was recovering, Deputy Mayor Neil Boniface would be Acting Mayor.


Mayor Mikey in hospital

Wanganui Mayor Michael laws is in Wanganui Hospital recovering from an unprovoked assault near Wanganui on Friday night.

City Council Chief Executive Officer Dr.Dave said doctors were still drawing lots on who should assess the Mayor’s condition and that the Mayor is not receiving visitors except for the news media preferably cnn,tvnz, canwest and bbc.

Dr Dave asked the community to respect the wishes of Mr laws family for privacy. (however did point out that they would be trying for a new baby boy in may 2007)

“Mayor Michael is extremely popular In his own mind and is usually the first to front up to the media and the public, but right now he needs to reapply eyeliner before talking to the media therefore we ask people to give him some consideration when deciding what radio channel to listed to.”

Dr Dave said that while Mr Laws was recovering, Deputy Mayor Dot would be receiving instructions from Mr. laws on what to do, say and how to think

Anonymous said...

in-your-face mickey said yesterday on the ratepayers website:
"It's difficult to escape the conclusion that we are receiving extra scrutiny this time as a consequence of inadequacies in the last LTCCP published in 2003.

then anonymickey said here on the Laws Watch website:

"The AG does not query monetary specifics of the LTCCP they question processes that were followed in order to reach the LTCCP conclusions. Not ONE Council has passed first time."

So which is it, Mickey. Did EVERY council LTCCP the length and breadth of NZ get singled out and picked on because of the sins and omissions of their former accounting regimes?

That's the trouble with spinning so fast and furious, Mickey. As any kid will tell you, sometimes you forget where you've been and which direction you're turning.




*********************

Anonymous said...

So which is it, Mickey
.....
Yeeehaw! Now I'm a bonafide blogger, it's my turn to be called Mickey this time.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see that at least one of the Yoof profiled in today's Chron has what it takes to rise to greatness in the present adminstration and perhaps one day take his place at the top of the table.

The one who said that if he was a shoe he'd be a jandal "because I like to flip flop'.

Way to go, dude!