Friday, October 21, 2005

Guyton Street

(as adapted from "Chestnut Street" with abject apologies to John Mellencamp)

Well I've lived and breathed and been disbelieved
in these small town streets too long
I've been up with the winners and down with the s.i.n.ers
And run round in lycra at dawn
And my hands they have been tied
To a life I've been denied
I'm just a small town boy usin' others like toys
And workin' from nine to five*

By the end of the day, all the kids would go play
And I'd come staggering home
With a dream in my hand and a master plan
That wouldn't leave my mind alone
I compromised others with my schemes
And stepped on their dreams
I'm just a small town boy usin' dimwits like toys
And nothing is like it really seems

(bridge)

But you must believe that when I walk down the tracks
The Lawsmob fall back and say
There goes that sleek young silhouette
He don't show no respect
To anyone who don't have red neck

And that's my only redemption in this house of detention
That keeps me from simply blowin' it all away
'Cause when I walk down the street in the hot summer heat
I say, God don't take this power away

I keep hopin' and wishin' that these divisive positions
Gonna help me hide my pain
And all the hurt that I've felt underneath self-satisfied smirk
Of not finding fortune and fame
But some day I'll blow 'em away with the things that I may sing and might say

I'm just a small town boy usin' fools like my toys
And waitin' for my pay dirt day

I'm just a small town boy playin' with my toys
And waitin' for my pay day

* Three days a week. Unless something more important happens, like a chance to have my picture taken.

(Our thanks to the musically inclined Watcher who suggested this adaption)

Comments on this post are now closed.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of that story of Laws applying for Holmes' job just after he'd left Channel one?

Anonymous said...

Can we have another poll Lawswatch?

Laws Watch said...

...about? Suggestions, please...

Anonymous said...

Loving Seans report in the Chron: the cats away!

Anonymous said...

Even a drone like Murray Hughes must be starting to get a little annoyed how Vision stuff keeps on getting knocked back because the leader's not there. Dotty's lack of even the barest of leadership skills stands out like a dogs balls, with the Pro-Wanganui councillors running rings around her. "The Vision team...seemed somewhat headless without its leader. The exception was Sue Pepperell." Says Sean.

Anonymous said...

The most telling part of the report is Mickey's insistence that the communities desires be "noted" rather than supported. He's lying when he says the Comm. outcomes are out of date: perhaps Council's situation has changed, but our aspirations have remained. Time for this flash-in-the-pan part-timer to start doing his job.

Anonymous said...

He IS doing his job, self-promotion.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know who is standing for the by - election ? Both Pro-Whanganui and Vision Party?

Anonymous said...

"The Vision team... seemed somewhat headless without its leader. The exception was Sue Pepperell." Says Sean.

Dotty must be under so much pressure, realising she looks a fool, with no leadership skills. Hope she can pull off the RQ commercial premier, otherwise her time in Local Government might be short lived.

Anonymous said...

In view of the discussion here about last week's pathetic debut of the Diva and his sad mates on Prime, Grant Smithies wonders in the Sunday Star Times why the hell the appalling Celebrity Treasure Island et al manage to draw big audiences:
Smithies says:

Clearly there's a high demand for shows in which mildly famous people make huge plonkers of themselves? Why?

Leaving aside masochists, teenagers yet to discover irony and couch kumaras too indolent to reach for the remote, I can only assume everyone else is watching these things for one simple reason – to derive cheap laughs from the sad spectacle of people who are prepared to do anything, no matter how badly, to stay on our screens
.

So, the next time the Diva reminds us about how the hoi polloi just love to see him on the box … bear in mind the reason why.

Anonymous said...

PS:

Just catching up with the weekend blogging and it is very quiet in here - I guess that's evidence that LawsMob (all one of him) is busy across the Ditch.

Anonymous said...

Wonder how many freebie tickets went to Guyton St for the jazz concert last night? And whether they were offered around?

I counted three very senior staff and partners there, plus one councillor. - none of whom have turned up at any jazz events that I've been at in the past year.

Anonymous said...

And I've been out of town too

:)